add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unsure about adding more cooling (and overclocking)

ravens_creed
  • 82 months ago

Earlier this week I purchased the makings of a new gaming PC. Most of the key stuff is new, but my hard drive, power supply and dvd writer are holdovers. The MB, CPU, GPU and memory are all new, as is the tower/case. Here is a link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ravens_creed/saved/24Hv

Before I go ahead and start assembling my new machine, I have been considering further cooling options. It has been a long time since I put a new PC together, so I'm a bit naive when it comes to certain things. My new case seems to be well-equipped with fans (4 in total), so I don't think I need to add more there. What about CPU cooling? Are the stock fans/heatsinks notoriously cheap? Or insufficient? I can't really tell if I would need anything other than the stock one, unless it was strongly advised. If it was more a matter of choice and a "just in case" sort of thing, I might be fine without adding a more substantial cpu fan. This is getting to be somewhat of a dated cpu already, and I left myself open for an upgrade in the future, if that plays into things. Generally speaking, I'm mostly concerned about keeping my machine as quiet and cool as possible, but not to an obsessive level.

I suppose I will be asked about overclocking and my answer to overclocking either my cpu or new video card would be... I don't know! I would love some help in that regard also.

Thanks!

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if your CPU you won't be able to overclock, since it's not a k version (though it's definitely not a "dated" CPU!). The stock cooler will keep your chip sufficiently cool. Of course, an aftermarket cooler will keep your chip even cooler, which is never a bad thing! The stock fan can get a bit loud, since it's obviously not a high-end fan, so you'll definitely not gains in the acoustic area. You could get a cooler master hyper evo for like $30. Not a huge expense, and if you decide to get a CPU later that can overclock, then the evo would definitely be able to handle some of that.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

That's actually a misconception, you're actually able to overclock a non K Intel chip, as long as it's at least an i5, but it's not completely unlocked, i believe the max for non K is 4ghz

-Tyler

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Not with Haswell. They've locked it down now. Up to Ivy you could get a "free" overclock by changing the blck to like 105 or 107, but no longer.

There was also a glitch in the H/B87 chipsets that allowed overclocking, but Intel has patched it.

• 82 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh really? Good to know. Thanks

-Tyler

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup. Unfortunately. I was trying to decide between a 4770k and a 4770 due to price, and I knew you could overclock non-k chips on Ivy, but from everything I read about Haswell, this is no longer possible.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's a lot of what I needed to know. :)

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry about the typos!

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Forgiven. :)

I've even gone to the store and come back with a Cooler Master Hper Evo 212 since my last post. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to mount the darn thing! Brackets and parts everywhere, oh my.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

This is WAY more complicated than I had anticipated!

Is my heatsink aligned properly? I can't tell! It seems to be identical if aligned two different ways.

Thermal paste application? Pretty sure I didn't do it right the first time, not sure if there is a specific method, not sure what I'm TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH while applying the paste.. didn't think I'd have to be using pastes of any kinds like this! Brutal.

Especially considering the stock fan was probably sufficient, is fool-proof when aligning, and doesn't require any screwing (you just press the screw parts in and you're done).

For anyone else reading this, going with an after market CPU fan is a lot of time, work, and frustration compared to a stock heatsink/fan.

Just saying.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

A small amount of thermal paste in the middle. About the size of a bb if not just slightly larger but smaller than a pea most definitely. Don't lift the heatsink to check if you got it right since that creates airbubbles if you put it on again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube