add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How exactly do CPU coolers work?

YourLocalPCNoob
  • 82 months ago

I've seen various pics of CPU coolers and they all seem to look the same-two fans connected to a module that i dont know the name of D: (it would help if someone let me know what this "module" is actually called.

1.Do the tubes contain a special liquid or is it just water? 2.I thought any sort of water touching components would short it, so how does this not happen? 3.If there is liquid in the "module" then won't it eventually run out and you'll have to insert more? 4.Where do the two fans usually sit/lie/hang in the case? Do they blow up or down?

There's gotta be someone who can answer all these questions easily

Tanks

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a simple way of putting it. Water is closed within a loop, water goes though radiator getting cooled by the fans, water travels down to cpu, heat transfers to water, water goes back to the radiator, rinse and repeat. And it Pushes or Pulls are depending on how you position the fans. Hope this Answered your questions!

-Tyler

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

To clarify, water does not directly touch the components of the computer. A block made of some metal, usually copper, gets attached to the IHS (Integrated Heat Sink) of the CPU, and the heat is transferred from the silicon, to the IHS, then to the copper on the water block. Then the water cools the metal in the water block, and moves back up to the radiator to be cooled.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

here is a more in depth of cooling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube